Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

For many Illinois households, energy costs place a severe and continuing stress on the family’s budget. In some instances, the household is forced to make painful decisions regarding which bills to pay and which necessities to go without. The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to help low-income households pay for winter energy services. The amount of assistance received is determined by a number of factors, including number of people in the home, household income, type of fuel used for heating and geographic location. An applicant does not have to own their home or even pay energy bills directly to get assistance. An over-due bill or shut-off notice is not required. Emergency assistance is also available if the household is disconnected from any energy source needed for heating and/or a delivered fuel supplier has refused to deliver and the tank contains 25% or less. Any questions should be directed to the Crosswalk Energy Assistance Staff.


Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible to receive assistance under the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program if your household’s gross income is at or below LIHEAP’s income guideline levels. To qualify, you must also be the Customer of Record (COR) at your utility company. If you rent, and your heat and/or electric is included in the rent, then your rent must be greater than 30 percent of your income in order to be eligible to receive benefits.


How Does it Work?

Contact Crosswalk CAA and tell us that you want to apply for the Energy Assistance Program. We have intake sites in three (3) of our counties served (Franklin, Jefferson, and Williamson). You will be required to go to the intake site for the county in which you reside. When you apply for assistance, bring the following with you:

  • Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30 day period prior to the application date
  • A copy of your current heat and electric bills (if you pay for your home energy directly
  • Proof of Social Security Numbers of all household members
  • Current DHS Medical Card(s) for all household members
  • If you rent, bring proof of your rental agreement that must state your monthly rent amount.

Crosswalk CAA will determine if you are eligible based on the information you provided. You will be notified by the funding source in Springfield of your eligibility status and the amount of assistance you will receive within 30 days from the date your application is complete. Crosswalk CAA will also notify your energy provider of the amount of assistance you will receive if you have an energy bill.

If you are eligible, Crosswalk CAA will make the appropriate payment to your energy provider(s) on your behalf, or, in some cases, directly to you.


Note: Crosswalk CAA administers the LIHEAP in Franklin, Jefferson, and Williamson Counties. For Jackson County, please call Western Egyptian Economic Opportunity Council, in Steeleville, at (618) 965-9031

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program 2021 Income Guidelines

1 $2,147
2 $2,903
3 $3,660
4 $4,417
5 $5,173
6 $5,930
7 $6,590
8 $6,737
11 $7,176
For families with more than 18 persons, add $568 for each additional person.